African Fashion Week Toronto (AFWT) is the top African Fashion event in Canada and in its 7th year, the fashions just keep getting better and better.
This three-day event is attended by buyers, retailers, fashion designers, beauty brands, models and press all in the anticipation of seeing the latest designs and collections.
More than just a runway for top designs, AFWT is a platform for fashion and beauty brands to get exposure for their products and designs and it creates regional and worldwide opportunities for brands to build a relationship with their audiences.
Sponsors and partners of this premier event also have the attention of a large progressive audience that includes media organizations, millennial influencers, industry professionals and consumers.
This fashion-filled week kicked off on Monday, August 19 with the Student Designers Showcase at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM). The African Fashion & Beauty Business Seminar was held later in the week on Thursday at OCAD University and the official Opening Soiree was held that same evening at the glamorous rooftop of 180 John St.
Some of the featured designers on Friday’s runway show included Kejeo, Lulu Creations, ZNA.K (Zeena Kay), Gervacy and Eugénie Ajdoa the 2019 Emerging Designer of the Year who’s fashion line is called Nykwale. Saturday’s designers were equally praised for their chic and edgy designs; NBL Couture, Precious Threads by Abiola, Fatumahasha and AFRICANA by Adebayo Jones were a handful of the designers who had the crowd in awe over their creative styles.
Sunday was the official awards ceremony for categories like the best international designer, best stylist, best online boutique and top models. Winners were as follows:
- Rising Star Male Model – Damilola Omotayo
- Rising Star Female Models – Roxanne La Kinoise and Kelechi Ofoha
- Online Retail Store of the Year – Kuwala
- Accessories Designer – JV Accessories
- Blogger of the Year – Stay Magnifique
- International Designer – Fatumahasha
- Black Excellence – Ruth E. Carter
- Emerging Designer – Nykwale
- Men’s Wear Designer of the Year – Pheo Couture
- Stylist of the Year – Stylez By Zee
- Ladies Wear Designer of the Year – Kaela Kay
And now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for. Here is our selection of top designs from this year’s event.